I’ve built a default install of Fedora 13 64-Bit in a virtual machine for the purpose of figuring out what are the dependencies and workarounds required to compile VirtualBox OSE from Subversion.
- Install make, gcc etc; as root:
yum groupinstall "Development Tools" "Development Libraries"
- Install 32-Bit build tools and some Qt4 libraries, Java etc; as root:
yum install dev86 iasl qt4-devel pulseaudio-libs-devel glibc-devel.i686 libgcc.i686 texlive-texmf-latex java-1.6.0-openjdk-devel zlib-static glibc-static libstdc++.i686 libvncserver-devel libxslt-devel libIDL-devel SDL-devel libXmu-devel libstdc++-static
- Symlink the Fedora-packaged JVM to where Oracle expect it to be installed, as root:
cd /usr/lib/jvm/ ln -s java-1.6.0-openjdk.x86_64 java-6-openjdk
- Install the bera-mono font into LaTeX, as root:
cd /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/ mkdir bera cd bera/ wget http://www.tug.org/texlive/devsrc/Master/texmf-dist/tex/latex/bera/beramono.sty texhash
- Download makeself, as a regular user:
cd /var/tmp/ wget http://megastep.org/makeself/makeself.run sh makeself.run
- Install and rename makeself.sh to makeself as Oracle are expecting, as root:
cd /var/tmp/makeself-2.1.5 mv makeself.sh makeself cp makeself makeself-header.sh /usr/local/bin/
- Compile VirtualBox, UserGuide.pdf, the kernel modules and the Guest Additions as a regular user:
cd ~/vbox/ svn update ./configure --disable-hardening source env.sh kmk all VBOX_WITH_VNC=1 cd out/linux.amd64/release/bin/src make cd ~/vbox/ kmk packing
Update: The same setup seems to work for Fedora 14 too.
Update 2: might as well remove the VBOX_WITH_VNC=1 and installation of libvncserver-devel as VNC support in OSE is going to be broken now the new VRDE API is committed.