No, not the cowboy series, but the Fedora development repository.
As part of my investigation into why large transfers are hard locking my PC, I was advised to install the kernel from Rawhide, which also meant enabling the RPMFusion Rawhide repository to pull in the Nvidia modules. So first we install the repo:
yum install fedora-release-rawhide.noarch
Then we edit the repo files to enable them but limit them to kernel/nvidia RPM’s (we don’t want to upgrade to Fedora 15 Alpha!) and not debuginfo/source:
[rawhide] name=Fedora - Rawhide - Developmental packages for the next Fedora release failovermethod=priority #baseurl=http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/development/$basearch/os/ mirrorlist=https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=rawhide&arch=$basearch enabled=1 gpgcheck=0 gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-$basearch file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-$basearch includepkgs=kernel*
[rpmfusion-nonfree-rawhide] name=RPM Fusion for Fedora Rawhide - Nonfree #baseurl=http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/development/$basearch/os/ mirrorlist=http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=nonfree-fedora-rawhide&arch=$basearch enabled=1 gpgcheck=1 gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-rpmfusion-nonfree-fedora-latest-$basearch file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-rpmfusion-nonfree-fedora-rawhide-$basearch includepkgs=*nvidia*
Then running “yum update” pulled in the 2.6.38-0.rc7.git2.3.fc16.x86_64 kernel from Fedora 16 (and Nvidia modules) and it does seem to have fixed the issue – I did a full rsync backup and a couple of 1.3Gb NFS transfers to test.
VirtualBox works fine too thankfully – dkms/akmod rebuilt the kernel modules upon reboot and my CentOS 5.5/Ubuntu 9.10/OEL6 guest VM’s work fine.
Mum’s thinking of getting an Amazon Kindle3 for her birthday, and it seems they now allow reading of regular PDF/epub files not just Amazon’s DRM-protected Mobi format, and there’s a Linux program called Calibre that enables you to convert between the ebook formats, including .cbz comic books.
Update: the new kernel doesn’t seem to have fixed the issue, I’ve had several crashes today without much network traffic. Starting to wonder if its an Nvidia driver issue or a hardware issue like HDD/PSU/RAM. I ordered a new PCIe NIC with Via Velocity VT6130 chipset instead of Realtek RTL8111D but doubt its going to fix anything now 🙁
I’ve also been playing with the Kindle and Kobo Android apps and downloading a shedload of free ebooks from Amazon to read on my phone – even got Calibre to convert useless PDF’s to more portable epub files. The Kobo website is useless as its throws DRM-protected PDF’s at you (for free books!) but the Android app just downloads unencrypted epubs.